Hello my lovelies!!!
I know it’s been a while since I posted and I’m really sorry.
Good news first, I finished my first degree in college ‘yaaaay’. I’m so excited and relieved at the same time.
So on today’s post, i’ll be talking about my favorite fruit of the year. It’s the season of one of my favorite African fruits, ‘Agbalumo’ in Yoruba , ‘Idara’ in Igbo and ‘African white star apple’ in English. At first, i wasn’t sure if its a fruit till i made researches. My favorite fruit of the year is African star apple which we call AGBALUMO in my dialect. I think the real English name is African star apples.
Fruits in Nigeria usually their seasons and time. Most of these fruits are usually common during the raining season and this when the soil is very fertile for agricultural growth.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CHERRY
A lot of people only savor the sour and milky taste of the fruit but have no idea what the fruit actually offers in nutrients and benefits. Botanically called chrysophyllum albidum, the fruit is mostly cultivated in the rural areas and is very common between the months of December to April.
- It could serve as a natural source of Anti-Oxidant booster to remove free radicals from oxidative stress disorders, and
- Its leaf extract contains Hypoglycemic (to treat Diabetes) and Anti-Platelet activities, although it also had toxic effects on some organs.
- Medicinal Uses The star apple is a folk remedy in several countries, although no research exists to confirm these uses. The seeds of this fruit may be useful to reduce fevers and treat diarrhea. Some people also eat this fruit to reduce the inflammation associated with laryngitis and pneumonia. Other uses, including treatment for hypertension, tooth abscesses, heart problems, intestinal issues and cancer exist, but do not eat star apple for any medical condition without first consulting your physician.
- Helps You Lose Weight Eating a serving of star apple contributes 3 g of fiber to the recommended daily intake of 25 to 38 g. Fiber provides bulk to your diet, a factor that can make your stomach feel fuller for longer. This can keep you from eating too much, and it may help you lose weight.
- This nutrient can also help protect you from diabetes and some forms of cancer
- Vitamins and Minerals Star apples serve as a good source of calcium, with each serving providing you with 10 percent of the amount you require each day. The calcium lends strength to your bones and teeth, and it may also lessen symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, such as cramping and abdominal bloating.
- The bark of the tree according to researcher was used traditionally to treat yellow fever and malaria, while the leaf treated wounds, stomachache, and diarrhea.
- The agbalumo/udara is a natural remedies for toothache, constipation, sore throat, and much more. Also in some parts of Nigeria the seeds are used to treat vaginal and skin infections
I love the taste and it has these local thing about it that makes it unique and taste differently.
Try as much as possible to take it this season. It is a good snack when traveling…